Monday, March 28, 2011

Leaving our comfort zone

The last few months/weeks have been eye opening. I attended a discussion lead by authors Kevin Hoffman & Rhonda Roorda both of them were adopted transracially. I recently finished Kevin's Book, Growing Up Black in White. And today I finished a book, Beyond Good Intentions. It was written by Cheri Register who also wrote Are Those Your Kids. Listening to Kevin & Rhonda speak and reading these two books helped me realize more and more that I need to break out of my comfort zone. Being friends with other adoptive parents is going to be "enough".

I've been debating about emailing a fellow photographer (who is black). She is amazing and we have shared business ideas and help each other when needed. I didn't know what she would think about meeting up for lunch or a playdate. Is it weird to say, 'Can we please be friends outside of work stuff not just because I think you are cool, but because my son needs us to be friends'. Well I emailed her about getting together and I suspect she'll be happy to. I didn't tell her that I am hoping we can become lifelong friends so our kids can grow up together and help each other navigate through lifes hurdles-I'll wait and do that face to face.

We (and by we I mean I but my husband will go along with just about anything for our son's sake) have been considering church. We are hoping to find a diverse church to attend. I'm just not sure if I need to find an all or almost all black church or if a 50/50 mix is enough. I don't think I would feel uncomfortable either way. My concern with a diverse church is that we will wind up making friends with the white families by some sort of default. I've been to black churches for work-photographing weddings and even attended events for some of "my kids". I have alway felt very welcome. I'm not sure if that will be different now that I have a black son.

1 comment:

Joy said...

One of the things I love about our church (particularly when I think about my future children, but also because it has broadened my own social and cultural network...a lot) is the diversity (at least for our very caucasian area). We have lots of first-generation families from various countries in Asia & Southeast Asia, Africa, etc. If you decide to go looking, I hope you find a great fit for your family!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers