Saturday, March 26, 2011

Happy & Sad

Yesterday we had our 6 month check up at the IAC. It went well. The Dr. was amazed at his growth chart and the P.T. was a little puzzled. I had answered a few questions on his assessment without understanding them and put the wrong thing. So he scored slightly below average on motor skills (all others he tested normal!!!!). The PT took us into her room with some toys and T wouldn't sit still. He immediately took a toy from a small basket (which is one of the thing I incorrectly said he doesn't do). She put him on the floor on his back and wanted him to sit up and he wouldn't because he doesn't do that yet. "So he doesn't sit up, but he can walk"? YEP! She said he clearly had not read any of her text books. She wanted to see him pointing to things and crawling on 4 point (he does an army crawl). So sure enough what does he do today? Both! Lately I am just beaming with pride for my little boy. He has come such a long way in such a short time.

My joy was short lived. When we got home I saw an email from our agency. It stated that families currently waiting in the ET program are encouraged to look at other programs. I got teary and looked and Tesfa and nearly lost it. We barely made it through before all these delays hit. I couldn't imagine waiting 2 years or more and being asked to switch programs. I was so thankful and felt/feel so selfish for being relived about T being home. I feel awful for the kids who will go without parents longer and I feel bad for waiting families. I don't know what the "right" thing is to do, but I am certain increased protections for the kids are a good thing. I also felt very sad that we may not be able to give T an Ethiopian brother or sister like we had hoped. We have debated about Et or domestic for adoption #2 but I feel as though that decision has been made for us.

No comments:

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers