Sunday, April 3, 2011

Confession of an awful mom

Today I messed up something awful. I am only sharing this because I hope no one will ever be as stupid as I was today.

I went to BabiesRus to get a car seat for the little girl I take care of M,T,W. Tesfa and I found the seat right away and wondered around the store for a few minutes. When we got to the car I realized the car seat won't fit in the trunk, T is in the cart and the wind is blowing fiercely. The cart starts to roll away (just a few inches) before I grab it. I put Tesfa in the car to keep him from rolling away into the park lot. I take the car seat out of the box and toss it into the back seat. I break the box down and throw it into the trunk. And we are on our merry way. I call Joel and he can't talk because he is on the other line (Thank God). I turn and look back and am horrified to realize I did NOT strap Tesfa in. I was so worried about him blowing away and thought that I would not forget to go back and strap him in after I had gotten the car seat in the car.

I had just made it out of the parking lot and stopped at a red light when I realized what I had done. I put the car in park and turned my hazards on, waived to the guy who is now stuck because of me and secured T into his car seat. I waived again to the guy behind me who smiled realizing my child need something. I got back into the car and was shaking. I am upset and teary now thinking about how awful this could have been.

It was so stupid and I would have judged the hell out of a mom who told me she had done something like this.

6 comments:

Kevin Grandey said...

Oh Amy, you are not a horrible mom, you are just like the rest of us. Or at least just like me! Shortly after Elijah came home in took both kids to the zoo. When we were ready to head home, I opened Lila's door and asked her to climb in while I got Elijah strapped into his seat. After getting Eli secured I promptly got into my seat, backed out and started down the parking lot aisle until I heard Lila say"Um, Mommy? My doornis open!" Yep. Drove a short distance notnjust with Lila not buckled in, but with the f'ing door OPEN.

Ali said...

Whoops. Above comment by me, not Kevin...he would NEVER do what I did. ;)

Amy said...

Thanks Ali, I feel better.

Momma C said...

I did that once (okay maybe once per child) When A was a baby we were at the mall and it was freezing so I sat him in his infant seat while I put the stroller, etc in the car. Got in and started to drive when he began to cry. Luckily he made noise or I would have driven home that way. Oh and I might have on at least one occasion had a child actual tell me (with no small amount of smug satisfaction) "Mom, you FORGOT to buckle me"

Amy said...

Now I really feel better, if the car seat police forgets maybe I'm not a bad mama :-)

Unknown said...

I did it too! Once per kid, almost. First time was in the first six months we were home. Athan reached up and handed me something, a Cheerio I think, which I quickly realized would have been impossible had he been strapped in. Awesome. Then once not that long ago I closed the door and Tseri was like, 'Umm, Mama...you forgot to buckle me in.' Yup. If that makes you an awful mom, then I think we are all in pretty bad shape.

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers