Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Adoption Rocks-for some


I've been trying to read more blogs and articles that talk about adoption from the perspective of the birthmother and from adopt adoptees. I know T is only one but I really wonder how he will view his adoption? Will any future siblings view their adoptions differently? I've seen these really cute shirts that say, Adoption Rocks and after thinking about the questions T will have one day I came to the conclusion that they should sell that shirt with a small version that says, Adoption Sucks. Because it does suck that T won't know his Ethiopian family, it sucks that he is an american but that is not his history, it sucks that he may feel stuck between two countries.

I hope that I am smart enough, loving enough and open enough to listen to what he has to say when he is ready to talk about his adoption. I hope that if he chooses to go to ET and/or to look for his birth family that I will be there by his side.

I often find myself thinking what if she wanted him back? How long before that feeling goes away?

This month seems to be the hardest one for me because Fasika is just over a week away and I can't help but wonder how his BM is going to handle that day. (T was born on Fasika last year)

5 comments:

Not Just A Birth Mom said...

I think it rocks that you are seeking the view points of other members in the triad. Doing this and being open to how adoption makes others feel will benefit your son sooo much(and you as well!). Do you have anyway to contact your sons birth family? Or find them? Even if you don't do it now, it would be so awesome for him to be able to have the option of talking to them once he is older

paige said...

what NJaBM said! really, once you begin to look at the parameters, it is really hard to say "adoption rocks" with such conviction.
xo

Amy said...

Ashleigh-we did meet T's birth family. They are in Ethiopia so contact will be limited. I hope he gets to see them again someday. I really appreciate your perspective and have enjoyed reading your blog.

Not Just A Birth Mom said...

Thanks, Amy :)
Wow, I think it is so cool that you have met them AND have contact with them! Even though it is limited, it's still more than most people get when it comes to international adoption. I seriously can't believe you all actually have the option to "know" them. That is just too cool!

Amy said...

We are so lucky to have as much info as we do on his family. It truly is rare for IA.

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers