Sunday, January 24, 2010

Why help Haiti?

I woke up this morning and checked my facebook account. First thing I saw someone posted the questions, Why Help Haiti? They sited that the US has people that are hungry and lack health care. When I replied that the poverty in Haiti was unlike anything in the USA I got some pretty negative responses. The one that bothered me the most was: Will Haiti help us when we need it? & They think money grows on trees in the US.
So I thought about this a bit. Yes, the US has people that go hungry, that lack health care and many of our schools are failing. What would it take to fix these issues? Would $110 Billion do it? I would think that kind of money would make a significant dent in our issues at home. Where did the $110 billion amount come from? That is the amount of money americans spend a year on fast food.

It irritates me so when people talk about "helping our own".
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers