Thursday, January 14, 2010

Focus on the (hateful) family

I was listening to Focus on the Family today on the radio. Yes, I listen to it once in a while in the car. I am a gluten for punishment. I like to know what people on the other side of the fence think.

What I heard was someone defending Pat Robertson for his comments on Haiti. I wasn't sure what he had said at that point. The broadcaster said Robertson was being targeted for saying he hoped this tragedy would turn people to God. When I got home I looked up his comments. What he said was that the Haitian People had made a deal with the Devil 200 years ago and that is why this happened.

I know Robertson is a nut but to find out he has supports scares me.


2 comments:

anonymous said...

unfortunately, if you look up haitian history, the rebellious slaves did make a deal with the devil that if they could win against the french, that the devil could rule haiti for 200 years. The 200 years expired in 2004 and purportedly the then president stated that voodoo was the religion of haiti and that he intended to renew the pact with the devil. Now, this doesn't mean the devil exists but this is literally in the history books. So, while I don't agree with Robertson, this story is an accepted part of haitian history...

Amy said...

if you have a link on some info i can read on the 'deal with the devil' i'd love to see/read it. i tried to search online but all i see is commentary on what Robertson said.

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers