Friday, September 25, 2009

What no one told me about adoption

I have read quite a few books on adoption, on things I need to know, on things that my child will need to know. But I find some of the most helpful info I get is from other adoptive families. Sometimes it's through the forums or blogs that they write. Today I found this link: http://www.growninmyheart.com/what-no-one-told-me-about-adoption-carnival-one

When we started adoption proceedings no one ever told me:
1) I would wonder about their birth mother this much
2) I would want to jump on a plane to see our baby come into the world (if only that were possible)
3) how much I would question what we are doing.
4) How many incredible people we would meet
5) that my life and nearly every thought in my head would revolve around a child we have not met and a country we have never seen
6) that I would start drinking coffee
7) that family would be so supportive
8)how hard this would be
9) how long the wait would be and how much I would learn/change while we wait
10) that we lived in the Ethiopian hub of Ohio

What did you wish you knew ahead of time?

2 comments:

George said...

Great post...thanks for sharing the link too!

The Busters said...

I am with you on several of those items. I think about my future child's birth mother WAY more than I imagined! Thanks for the link!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers