Sunday, July 17, 2011

Separation Anxiety

I know it is very typical of separation anxiety to kick in around 12-18 months and I think it's safe to say we are there. This is probably made worse by the fact that T hasn't been feeling the best (stupid teeth). Lately he fusses if I leave the room. He wants me with him all the time. Last night Joel and I went out. We left T with my parents and he wasn't happy. I thought for sure he'd calm down after 5 minutes but not so much. I had sent a text to my dad about 30 minutes after leaving and was told "he fussy-but he's ok". So I didn't worry to much.

Then found out this morning (we saw Harry Potter and got home at 1a.m.-we're wild) that he fussed so much he threw up. Ok don't judge me! I've been away from him only a handful of times and he's been home 10 months. Ok fine judge me. Now he does have a runny nose and he has been known to throw up when he has a runny nose so I'm not overly surprised. Was it a bad idea to leave when he was under the weather? Uh yeah probably. BUT we had purchased the tickets several days in advance and really my parents are the only ones we have to watch him. So it seemed like a now or never kinda thing.

This morning he only wanted me-not even daddy was good enough-which is hard to believe. He seemed fine today. Hopefully there are no long lasting scars from this.

* and Harry was really good.

3 comments:

Momma C said...

Judge you- please. I would be right there with you. Sometimes they fuss for the sole reason that they can. And besides it is actually good for them to learn that you will leave and you ALWAYS come back. Separation anxiety is harder on us. I promise he will NOT be telling a therapist about this one day. Don't sweat it- save that for the times you send him to school saying "You are NOT really sick" and an hour later the school nurse calls to say he has a fever of 104 and is puking. (Not that it has ever happened to me, of course)

Ali said...

I will say this to you because it's been said to me so many times: you are being waaaaay to hard on yourself! E has had that level of separation anxiety since the day we arrived home over a year ago. Just yesterday he FREAKED OUT when I dared walk into another room. Yep, it makes me feel like shit, but I also know that for my own sanity (which is directly related to the happiness of my babes) I need and deserve some child-free time. I totally agree with Momma C, leaving them is crazy hard, but we are teaching them the valuable lesson that we will always always come back. Hang in there, I know how hard the land of teething can be. Hope to see you Thursday!

jen said...

I agree with Ali. You need to get out! Lovin you!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers