Monday, August 15, 2011

the things we do for love (slightly icky)



Well as most of you know last week was pretty rough. Now-it could have been much worse-but it could have been much better.

On Friday I went to get a permit for a garage sale and while leaving the building tripped over uneven sidewalk. I play it back in slow motion and keep picturing myself trying to get my footing with no luck. So there I was holding my 16 month old son and hurdling to the ground. All I could think in the few seconds it took was "just don't drop him". So as we lay on the ground crying I looked him over. I didn't see anything except the terror on his face. He kept hugging and kissing me-unsure of what had just happened.

After making my way into the building and getting my elbow patched up I got him in the car. He saw blood on his foot and started carrying on "dugga dugga dugga" and pointing to his injury. He got no sympathy since in fact it wasn't his blood. But it was pretty funny to hear him carry on.

I was so shaken when I got home-actually I was hysterical. I text Joel and told him what happened. When he got home I set off for urgent care. I felt really stupid and wasn't sure if I was over reacting or not, but my ribs were really hurting at this point and I thought I would need stitches in my elbow. Well I got no stitches but had 2 xrays taken. Seriously! Over a fall on the sidewalk! I was told my ribs were bruised and possibly fractured or broken. I had to go back to the dr today because the wounds on my arms were starting to get infected and were really hurting.

Besides being really upset thinking about what could have happened to Tesfa I am also really upset about the response I got from the city official (the one who gave me the bandages in the first place). She asked if I had any witnesses. REALLY? Uh yeah a 16 month old witness. I mean did she think I was making this crap up? I had been in the building and wasn't bleeding and crying and returned a few minutes later dripping blood and trying to keep from being a total mess.

3 comments:

paige said...

Not that your elbow isn't totally gross, but I'm so glad you posted a photo. The picture in my mind was much worse.
So sorry this happened, so glad sweet Tesfa is fine--wish you were too.

Amy said...

It's the hole in the elbow that makes it bad. It doesn't really show in the photo but almost looks like a bullet wound. I'm sure I'll be ok in a few days but could really use some sleep.

The Busters said...

OUCH!!!! I will warn Damon not to look at these photos. He doesn't do well with that stuff. :) You are beyond tough in my opinion. Sending you lots of healing vibes!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers