Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

We returned Saturday night from a week at the beach. With 3 children under the age of 6 it was always busy. We splashed in the ocean, played putt putt, went to the aquarium and watched a ball game. It was great to have that time with our nieces and youngest nephew. Of course we enjoyed seeing Joels parents, his sister and brother in law too. Its just that, for now, we are adored. The kids wait to pounce on us in the morning. Next to silly bands we are probably the coolest thing ever! I know this is limited. Our nephews (on my side of the family) no longer jump when we come to the door. They are all teens and while they love us we rank somewhere behind girls and friends.

The one thing that strikes me most when I spend time with Joels family (especially for a week) is the similarities. Joel drives like his dad (God help us). He has a mark on his chest that his sister and mother also have. I watch Kendyl (6) who is ....assertive lead Andre (3) around. And I know this is exactly what Kristen & Joel were like as kids. It brings me joy and helps me understand my husband that much more. But this time it also made me a little sad.

There are dots that I will never be able to connect for T. There are some questions you just don't know to or have time to ask. I wonder if he will drive like Joel? Will he have my love of ketchup? Will he be artsy? How much of his personality will be nurture/nature? Will he love sports? Be good at math or science? Will his personality be similar to his Ethiopian mommy?

I hope to meet him soon and start to figure all of these things out.

1 comment:

The Busters said...

I can't wait to meet him too.

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers