Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Educational Reading

I am reading the book, The Girls Who Went Away: The hidden History of women who surrendered children for adoptio in the decades before Roe V. Wade.  It is a great book.  It is not cheerful or uplifting as you can imagine, but it does give lots of insight in to what it must be like to be a birth mother.  It's heart breaking that most birth mothers in the 50's and 60's had little to no support (or choice) when surrendering their children for adoption.  

Next on the list, the post-adoption blues: overcoming the unforeseen challenges of adoption.  Joel will be reading I'm Chocolate You're Vanilla. 

3 comments:

paige said...

I read the girls book a few years ago--lots of it really stuck with me. Reading passes time, and makes your brain biggerer too

Alex said...

Let me know what Joel thinks of Chocolate/Vanilla ... I liked it a lot but found it differed from many other books/articles I had read before that.

George said...

I'm currently reading Does Anybody Else Look Like Me by Donna Jackson Nakazawa....and I highly recommend it. My next will likely be Chocolate/Vanilla.

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers