Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Unwanted-the tough questions begin

I knew one day-sorta soon-Tesfa would start to ask questions. We'll do our best to answer them as honestly and age appropriately as we can. I really thought that I had at least a year or two before this was going to leap into our lives.

I was however caught a little off guard by my now 5 year old nephew-A. We celebrated his birthday this past weekend and his mom and I were talking before the party. She said that A has started to ask really difficult questions. One day he asked about the death of his great grandmother. She answered as best as she could and tried to explain things so he would understand. A day or two later he started talking about his beloved cousin. "Who had him?" he asked. K, my sil, explained that there was a woman in Ethiopia that had given birth to him. And then my heart sunk as she told me his next question, " She didn't want him?". I know it is a very hard concept for children to understand but the hard part is knowing that T will be asked that question many more times or we will be asked in front of him. My heart aches for him to ever think he was unwanted.

1 comment:

The Busters said...

Oh man, that's tough. I hate thinking about conversations like that but they are certainly going to become a reality soon. It also pains to me think about what other kids might say to our boys. Give T a hug from Emmy.

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers