Friday, October 29, 2010

Attachment

People keep asking if Tesfa is attaching. The truth is I'm not sure. How do you know? He does smile at us quite a bit...more than anyone else. But he is too young to reach for us or give us any distinct signs. At this point only a couple of immediate family members have held him and it's only been less then a minute. I guess he doesn't have much choice but to like us since we are the only two meeting his needs.

Is it all in the eyes? That's what some people have said. There are times when his eyes do look super bright and happy. He stares at me less with that look of, "still you???". So I guess maybe that is a good sign. It is nice to wake up to his smiles and jabber.

He screaming fits are far fewer. Although yesterday was a rough day because he did scream until nearly making him self sick before falling asleep in my arms. I don't let him "cry it out". Speaking of which the boy is now awake better go get him.

1 comment:

jessica said...

You will know. I doubted our attachment for the first few months and it had me concerned. I also didn't know what to look for. I now feel confident that we're attached, and here are two of the reasons why: Mamush now cries when I leave the house, and he now feels uneasy if someone other than Casey or me picks him up (he reaches over to one of us if someone else is holding him)... but these things took time. It's really good that you're not letting Tesfa "cry it out" - this should definitely help with attachment.

Btw, Tesfa is SO CUTE!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers