Saturday, October 23, 2010

Cute Kid, My Boy


It would appear that after two years of complaining about waiting that I have nothing to say. Sorry for anyone who actually follows this blog and expected some sort of deep insight to parenthood. The truth is we are settling in well. Tesfa has grown like a weed. I believe he is around 17 lbs now! Yep, that's 6 lbs in 6 weeks.

I was concerned the first time I saw him. He was on the floor and didn't seem to respond well. He smiled very little and barely moved his head. I was certain we were going to have a hard road ahead of us. And while the next visit went much better I still had concerns. I still can't talk or think about that first trip with out getting teary and emotional. Leaving Tesfa and not knowing when we would return was truly the hardest thing I have ever done.

But when we traveled again a month later it was a much different story. We walked into the room at the care center to see him. He was in his bed and on his tummy. He smiled immediately. His head was held up well on his skinny little arms and shoulders. His social worker commented on how he must be happy to see us because he doesn't generally smile. I don't know it that is the case. Did he have any idea who we were? Hard to say, but it is a nice thought.

The first few weeks at home he would look intently at other people but only smile for Joel and I. Now it may take a few minutes but he will give you a smile that lights up the room. For his sake and ours I am glad to know that he got his birthmothers smile.

2 comments:

Momma C said...

yes- I am still reading your blog and cute doesn't do him justice
He is totally adorable!!!!!!! Hope to see you soon

Cindy said...

He is a doll. It is great to know he has his first mothers smile.

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers