Saturday, October 24, 2009

Conflicted

I just found out that the agency we originally signed up with  (1 1/2 years ago) has opened an Ethiopia program.  I am very conflicted about this.   The reason we left EAC after only a month is because of some red flags.  

We had signed up for Russia.  We were told upfront that it would cost $40,000.  We let them know our financial situation and were told it would not be an issue.  Once we submitted our application and financial statements we were contacted by another rep of the company.  We were told we needed $100,000 in net worth.  We do not have it.  I wish we did, but we don't.  I had told them this upfront, because I know China requires it.   I was heartbroken.  We had finally started on our path to a family and now this. 

The next day I was contacted by our EAC rep.  I was asked if our parents would be helping us with the fees.  I said "a little".  Then I was told we could MAKE UP some of our net worth to get us to what we needed.   UUUHHHMMM we weren't a little short-we didn't have it.  My thought was what if we wait 2 years for a referral, go to court, and are asked for proof of our financial situation.  Then what?  Were we going to say, Well I kinda made it up? 

 They also suggested, "your parents are paying for the whole thing right"? Sure let me just ask our parents for $40,000.  I'm sure that won't be an issue at all. 


7 comments:

Alex said...

What are you thinking you are going to do?

Amy said...

Nothing really. We are not going to go back to EAC. We will stick it out with CHSFS even if that means we don't get a referral for several more months.

As much as I would love a quick referral I don't think its worth it to use an agency that I don't really trust.

Alex said...

Good thinking ... I just wasn't sure from the "conflicted" title of your post. I hope you are feeling better now!

George said...

We looked at them when we were looking at ET programs too. I could go on and on abt my bad experiences with the, and I wasn't even signed with them yet. Your with a great agency - they were on our short list before choosing Holt.

Amy said...

Jennifer, I would love to know what problems you had. I think part of my conflict was the fact I just didn't like the idea of them being in ET. I'll probably post something on the agency review group. Just to give people a heads up.

George said...

Amy- sure I can email you the details abt EAC. leave your address on my blog comment if u can. Thanks.

Amy said...

jen: sorry I'm not the best blogger. for some reason i can't post on your blog. harcarphoto@yahoo.com

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers