Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Nursing an adopted child

Since we are nearly done with paperwork I thought it was time to look into breastfeeding an adopted child. I have done some research and it seems very doable.

I am nervous about taking the recommended prescription, domperidone. It seems to come with a lot of warnings. The last thing I want to do is take medication that could be harmful to our peanut. From what I have read domperidone is not a must. Has anyone else nursed their adopted child? I contacted the La Leche League and am waiting on their response.

3 comments:

paige said...

Hey Amy

My friend Amber did the protocol (with some modifications if I remember correctly)
Check out her blog: http://american-family.org/

check back through mid 2006--there may be some helpful links.

tracy hanson said...

Hi Amy,
My Daughter is working on this now and I am sure she can give you some tips.

Babyethiopia.blogspot.com

Harvard to Homemaker said...

Hi Amy,
we just brought our 5 month old daughter home and I am nursing her once, at night. It's probably only a few ounces but it feels really good to be able to do it. I pumped, took herbs (goars rue and fenugreek) and pumped some more. I nursed our son as well, I don't know if that makes a difference.
GOOD LUCK, you can definetly do it! I must say that once we were home with her I let go of the idea of nursing her exclusivley - too much pressure on myself trying to run after a 2 year old, bond with the new baby, and somehow pump in between.
I did a little blogging about the nursing thing if you're interested.
you go!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers