Thursday, April 12, 2012

The next step: Adoption #2?

I think it might be about time. I think. Not 100% certain but we are considering the next adoption. Of all the things I am not certain of the one I am is that it won't be international. We won't be adopting from Ethiopia. This literally makes me weep. I would love for T to have an Ethiopian sibling. But, right now, I don't feel comfortable adopting from there. And lets be honest money is an issue.

So where does that leave us? I have been emailing back and forth with the people at HelpUsKids. Considering doing foster to adopt. BUT and there is always a but...there are very few infants/toddlers to be adopted out of foster care. So do we break birth order? My biggest concerns if we would do that are Tesfa-how will he feel with me spending time, taking care of, loving an older child? i think he would be fine with a baby-actually I know he would. If anything he would be jealous that I am the one taking care of the baby and not him. But what about a 5 or 6 year old?

And what would that do to an "older" child? Would the jealousy be too much for them when competing with a toddler?

So much more to consider.

3 comments:

Momma C said...

Honestly- I would not do out of birth order from the foster system at T's age (unless they are out of order but really really close in age) There are some potential but significant safety risks with older child adoptions out of the foster system. We can talk more though (I wouldn't totally completely rule it out but it would take a pretty narrow set of circumstances for me)

I have a friend who is in the process of adopting her foster son whom she has had since birth. But it has been a roller coaster ride for them.

But yeah!! the start of a new journey.

The Busters said...

Can't wait to see how it all unfolds! Love you guys!

Ali said...

So happy and excited for you guys! it's such a hard decision you are facing...but there are also not more compassionate, thoughtful, amazing prospective parents on the planet. I know whatever you decide will ultimately be right for you and your family. Have you checked out Scooping it Up's blog? You all are giving me the big...not good when Kevin is out of town and can't stop me from researching!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers