Friday, May 13, 2011

So I'm watching Oprah. I won't lie I have always liked her show. I watched her when I was a kid and still watch her when I can (which is rare).

Twenty three years ago she had a panel of white supremesists on. I saw that episode, I was 11 years old. Oprah had decided that she would not allow her show to be a platform for hatred again so I was a little surprised that two of those men appeared on her show again today.

They had come to their senses and realized they were wrong for preaching and feeling such hatred. One of the men had changed his mind after he recruited a group of white supremecists who ended up killing an Ethiopian man in Portland, OR. It really struck me-for obvious reasons but especially for me to see it today. Right now EOR is working it's magic in Portland to improve the lives of children in Ethiopia. I'm not really sure where I"m going with this but the contrast struck me.

3 comments:

jessica said...

I wasn't able to find anyone to go with me to the EOR fundraiser this evening, so I am volunteering instead! Looking forward to it.

P.S. An Ethiopian man in Portland ~ how sad & horrible. This really hits home for me since I spend time every week with an Ethiopian-American family here in Portland.

Prins said...

oprah is great..

Amy said...

Jessica so glad you volunteered. I really hope I can go next year. Did you hear the grand total???? $95,000!!!! Amazing.

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers