Friday, March 27, 2009

It's been a year

...since we started adoption proceedings.

We thought about China (didn't qualify) then thought Mongolia would be awesome (they were closed). Then last March we settled on going to Russia. We weren't thrilled about going to Russia. We knew we would learn to love the idea and we would love Russia because that is where are baby was born. I know many people will think I am awful for saying this but it is true.

Obviously it did not work out. A few weeks after applying to our first agency we got a call. I knew it was bad news when someone called at 9p.m. They wanted to discuss our net worth (or lack of). We were asked if our parents would fund the adoption. Ummm... no. They would help but we wouldn't ask them to fund it-even if they could.

I was crushed and then furious. We were honest and told them upfront that we didn't have much net worth. I cried all night and into the next day. I really don't think I have cried that much since my grandmother died 15 years ago. It really felt like all hope was gone. The agency said we could wait until Guatemala opened back up-probably in the fall. (as far as I know Guatemala is still closed).

A few days later I/we began looking into other agencies. The first one had broken my heart and I was not going to let them do it again. When we saw that Ethiopia was a possibility we were thrilled. We spoke with Paige online and she invited us to meet her family. We knew we had the right place this time. We applied to CHSFS in mid May.

No comments:

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers