Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Ranting: Unfair Maternity leave and Disney

This is one of those time where I am really glad I am self employed (every once it a while it pays off). I have been reading other blogs and parents concerns about not being able to take time off of work for maternity/paternity leave.

Why can adoptive families not have the same rights as a bio family. Many of us travel across the world to bring our children home. Are people supposed to return to the U.S., drop their kid off in daycare, and head right back to work? Why can they not be allowed a few weeks to bond with their child? This is so upsetting. All mothers (and fathers too) should have this right. Some people have actually been told they are not allowed to take unpaid leave to get their children. Disgusting! www.equalityforadoptedchildren.org/

Just a note: Disney finally comes out with a African American princess. The best they could come up with is a 1920's African American girl named Maddy. Oh yeah: she is in New Orleans and practices VooDoo. No stereotyping there! I believe they are going back to the drawing board and trying to get this right (after lots of complaints).

2 comments:

Nikki said...

UGH, on both counts!!

Nikki
http://ethiopia2009-adana.blogspot.com/

paige said...

Hey there,

Just saw this under your signature at the big Ethiopia yahoo group. is it ok that I'm reading even though I know you? Seriously, if you want to keep this more private, tell me and I'll forget that I saw it!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers